Street sweeping on Town of Ponoka roadways begins in May to clean and remove the sanding material, dirt and debris that has been deposited on streets over winter.
Street Sweeping Zone Map
Town crews will follow the same zone map that is used during snow and ice control operations, which divides Ponoka into four residential zones and two commercial/industrial zones:
- Zone 1 - Lucas Heights
- Zone 2 - North End
- Zone 3 - Central District
- Zone 4 - Riverside
- Zone 5 - Commercial/Industrial
- Zone 6 - Downtown Core
Please click here to view the map. On waste collection days, street sweeping will move to an alternate zone.
What Citizens Need to Know
- Street sweeping is weather permitting and may be interrupted due to inclement weather.
- Please remain a safe distance from street sweepers and take alternate routes to avoid street sweeping equipment where possible.
- New community advisory signs: will be posted in neighbourhoods where street sweeping is scheduled to occur in the near future. These signs simply provide citizens with advance notice of when street sweeping will be happening in their neighbourhood. They are different from the ‘no parking’ signs that are placed along roadways the day before street sweeping is scheduled to happen on a particular street.
- 'No Parking' signs: Please watch for ‘no parking’ signs and move parked vehicles from roadways on which ‘no parking’ signage is posted. Please note that vehicles only need to be removed from the roadway if ‘no parking’ signage is posted along that particular street.
- Moving parked vehicles from roadways allows crews to conduct street-sweeping operations safely and more efficiently.
- Removing your parked vehicle from roadways on which ‘no parking’ signage is posted in advance of street sweeping operations is a requirement under the Town’s Traffic Bylaw 388-17 and may result in fines and towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense if needed.
- Please note that Highway 2A and Highway 53 are provincial roadways that are maintained by the Alberta Ministry of Transportation’s highway contractor, Mainroad Alberta Ltd.
How to Stay Informed About Street Sweeping
Street sweeping updates will be posted on a regular basis. Please see below.
Street sweeping is weather permitting and may be interrupted due to inclement weather.
Street Sweeping Updates