Family Day in Ponoka offers many activities for the whole family to enjoy on Monday, February 20.
Win a Family Day Prize Pack!
You have the chance to win a family-sized prize pack. To qualify, just post a photo on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram of your family participating in a Family Day activity using the hashtag #TownofPonoka or by emailing your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be automatically entered in the draw to win a family-sized Town of Ponoka swag prize pack.
To be entered in the draw, all photos must be posted to social media or emailed to Communications on Family Day, February 20. The winner will be contacted on Tuesday, February 21. All participants will also be contacted by the Town of Ponoka for permission to use the photos that are submitted to promote the Town and its facilities.
Indoor and Outdoor Skating
Free Public Skating
The Town of Ponoka will be offering free public skating at the Ponoka Arena Complex (4410 54 Street) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the small ice on Family Day. To help support the Ponoka Food Bank, the Town will be accepting voluntary donations of non-perishable food items as admission to the event.
The Ponoka Kinettes and Kinsmen will be hosting a Skate-a-Thon at the Ponoka Arena Complex on the large ice from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to raise funds for the Ponoka Youth Centre’s summer programming and Cystic Fibrosis Canada.
The public is welcome to sponsor the skaters who are participating by donating a lump sum or sponsoring them per lap. For more information or to register as a Skate-a-Thon participant and to pick up your pledge envelope, please visit the Ponoka Youth Centre in person at 5004 54 Street or call 587-850-5530.
Hot chocolate and cookies will be available for all who attend public skating and the Skate-a-Thon.
Outdoor ice surfaces will also be open on Family Day for citizens to lace-up their skates and enjoy at the:
- Outdoor Rink (ODR) next to the Ponoka Arena Complex (4410 54 Street): Citizens can enjoy the ODR in the daytime and in the evening as the outdoor lights operate between 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Indoor change rooms can be accessed at the north end of the Ponoka Arena Complex and are available from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Ice Skating Trail at Lions Centennial Park (at Highway 2A and 54 Street): Citizens can enjoy the skating trail in the daytime or evening as the trail winds below tens of thousands of festive lights strung throughout the park. The skating trail can be accessed from the north-end gazebo at Centennial Park. Benches and rubber mats have been installed, providing you with a place to lace up. Please note that the trail is for leisurely ice skating only. Hockey is not permitted.
Swimming at the Ponoka Aquaplex
The Family Day fun will continue at the Ponoka Aquaplex (5315, 46 Avenue) with a free ‘Everyone Welcome’ swim from 12 to 4 p.m.
To help support the Ponoka Food Bank, the Town of Ponoka will be accepting voluntary donations of non-perishable food items as admission to the event.
Other Recreation Opportunities
Ponoka offers many other recreation opportunities for families on Family Day, including:
- Free drop-in access to the golf simulators at the Ponoka Golf Club (3519 46 Street) from 1 to 4 p.m. For more information, please contact the Ponoka Golf Club at 403-783-4626.
- Cross-country ski trails at the Ponoka Golf Club. The starting and finishing point is down below the main parking lot near the member cart shed. When skiing, citizens are asked to please stay on the trails at all times. For more information, please contact the Ponoka Golf Club at 403-783-4626.
- Tobogganing at the Tom Hamilton Memorial Hill, located in the southwest corner of Froman Industrial Park behind Siding 14 Brewery on 36 Avenue.
- Exploring and taking a stroll along the walking trails in Ponoka’s Battle River Valley.