Mayor Rick Bonnett
As a Council, we are extremely proud of our community and endeavour to constantly challenge ourselves to continue improving on the high quality of life and services that our community enjoys. Through innovation, economic growth and implementation of cost efficiencies where ever possible, we will continue to achieve positive outcomes for our community.
- Born in Ponoka, the youngest of eight children
- Resided in Ponoka until 1972 when, upon the passing of his father, his mother and the youngest three children moved to Creston, B.C.
- Attended school in Creston B.C. and graduated from Prince Charles Secondary School in 1984
- Enrolled in Political Science at the University of British Columbia but the lure of hockey brought him back to Ponoka to play with the Ponoka Sr. A Stampeders
- Worked on his brother’s feedlot and played hockey until 1990
- Met a local girl, Cindy Stewart, and they were married in the spring of 1991
- Cindy is a Registered Nurse who works as a Health Care Liaison at the Battle River Medical Clinic
- They have two daughters: Paige who is currently working with the 2019 Canada Winter Games organization, and Brooke who is a dental hygienist working in the community
- This is Mayor Bonnett’s second term as Mayor; he previously served as a Town Councillor
- He plays a lead role on the North Red Deer River Water Commission
- His key goal as Mayor is to persuade the provincial and federal governments to fund a new fieldhouse and recreation multiplex in Ponoka
- Mayor Bonnett’s passion for recreation is evident in his involvement in the community through past roles such as being a minor hockey coach and referee
- Been a Minor Ball coach and served on the Minor Ball Executive for many years
- Been a member of the Alberta Cattle Commission Board (now Alberta Beef Producers) for many years