On behalf of Town Council, I extend a warm welcome to all visitors to Ponoka, including new and prospective residents and business operators.
In Ponoka, you’ll find a growing and thriving community with a real hometown feel. Our town has enjoyed steady and noticeable increases in economic growth over the last few years, thanks to initiatives such as our Downtown Action Plan to revitalize the Downtown area, and the new Community Learning Centre building that will open soon at the north end of 50 Street.
We anticipate the Community Learning Centre will be a strong catalyst for economic growth in Ponoka. The new building has already led to additional development on that 5-acre site. Lacombe Action Group for the Handicapped is building a 5,000-square-foot care home that will accommodate up to eight residents and is expected to generate employment for up to 50 people in Ponoka.
The Community Learning Centre was built by a developer and includes up to 28,000 square feet of floor space being leased by the Town. The building will offer a new, expanded Library on the main floor, as well as new Town Council Chambers and Administrative office space on the upper floors. Campus Alberta Central (CAC) will also sublease space on the main floor for a learning centre that will bring new post-secondary education programs and courses to Ponoka. Additional office space is available for lease by the building owner on the third floor of the building.
Recreation facilities play a vital role in promoting economic growth. That is why Town Council and Administration continue to focus on upgrading and modernizing our recreational facilities to serve our growing community. We also continue to actively pursue grant funding for a new fieldhouse and recreational multiplex (Community Wellness Centre), which will be an exciting addition to Ponoka once it becomes a reality.
Ponoka is a safe, attractive and progressive community where people of all ages enjoy a high quality of life. During your stay here, we invite you to:
- Take photos, hike and enjoy our 8-kilometre trail system that stretches along the lush Battle River Valley and throughout the community
- Browse a variety of specialty and niche shops in Downtown Ponoka
- Savour authentic dining experiences throughout town
- Hit the greens at our two top-notch golf courses
- Explore our history at the Fort Ostell Museum and the Canadian Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame
- Play at our many parks, including Lions Centennial Park, which offers a fishing pond, mini-golf and a splash park
- Visit the Town’s recreation facilities, including the Aquaplex, tennis courts and sports fields
- And, of course, enjoy equine and livestock events year-round at the Calnash Ag Event Centre, as well as the world-renowned Ponoka Stampede that begins the last week of June every year
As a Council, we are extremely proud of our community and continuously challenge ourselves to improve the quality of life for our residents, our businesses and visitors. Enjoy your stay in Ponoka and we invite you to come back again soon!Mayor Rick BonnettTown of Ponoka