The Sidewalk Game initiative was created by the Ponoka Parks, Recreation & Culture Committee and has seen extensive growth over the last 2 years. With the addition of various sidewalk games, it enables children to grow into caring, healthy adults and improves concentration and academic achievement. A community like Ponoka is an ideal place to promote health by creating daily opportunities to increase physical activity and reduce sedentary behaviour. Community based physical activity initiatives can reach every child regardless of age, ability, gender, culture, and socio-economic background.
Sidewalk Games are located in the following areas:
- Lions Centennial Park (B-2A, Ponoka)
- Ponoka Aqauplex (5315 46 Ave.)
- Scout Hall (3924 46A Street Close)
- 5520 45 Ave. Crescent)
- Firefighter’s Riverside Park (45 St.)
- Ponoka Christian School (6300 50 St.)
- Ponoka Elementary (5510 48 Ave)
- Ponoka Youth Centre (5004 54 St.)
- Battle River Trail system (placed all along the trail)
- Mirror Me
- Hop Scotch
- Walk the Plank
- Bull’s Eye Target
- Four Squares
- Circle Hop
- Tire Jump
- Animal Prints
- Left and Right
These Sidewalk Games were created to promote physical activity, healthy living, and to encourage people to enjoy the outdoors. They are also designed to be unstructured play where kids can use their imagination to create their own fun. Be on the look out for more games coming in the future!
For descriptions of the Sidewalk Games, please click here.