Video Message from Ponoka Mayor Rick Bonnett - May 8, 2020
Ponoka Mayor Rick Bonnett provides an update on the Town's response to COVID-19 and thanks local citizens for their role in helping prevent the spread of the virus.
To view the video, please click the link below:
Some Outdoor Recreation Facilities Remain Closed in Ponoka Due to COVID-19
To read the News Release, please click here
Town of Ponoka Launches New Online Customer Service Program
To view News Release, please click here.
Town of Ponoka New Park Improvement Designs
The Town of Ponoka has developed new park improvement designs for two park spaces in Ponoka – the Old Hospital Rotary Park and Central Park.
The new park designs are based on the Town’s Recreation and Culture Master Plan (2016-2036) and the Urban Framework Master Plan (2020). The park improvement designs were developed in consultation with the Town’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Advisory Committee along with other community groups.
Before commencing construction on the new park designs this summer, the Town is inviting the community to take a virtual walk through the two parks and see the new park improvements.
An overview of the key components of the two new park designs is provided below:
Old Hospital Rotary Park
Located next to the Ponoka Civic Centre and Library at 51 Street and 57 Avenue, the Old Hospital Rotary Park design was developed in consultation with community representatives who sit on the Town’s Heritage and Downtown Revitalization Committee; the Parks, Recreation and Culture Advisory Committee, the Ponoka Rotary Club; and Landrex Inc.
Key design aspects of the park include:
- The preservation of existing mature trees along the south and west edges of the park space;
- A central walkway that provides a connection from 50 Street and the Ponoka Civic Centre to 51 Street;
- A central amphitheatre space, complete with a labyrinth;
- Sheltered outdoor classroom areas that serve as an extension of the Library and Learning Centre located inside the Ponoka Civic Centre;
- An edible garden landscape;
- Park lighting and seating furniture.
Located at 52 Street and 54 Avenue, the Central Park design was developed based on direction provided in previous plan documents and through workshop consultation sessions with community representatives who sit on the Town’s Parks, Recreation and Culture Advisory Committee.
Key design aspects of the new park design include:
- Preservation of existing trees throughout the park;
- The removal of old recreation, playground and site furnishings and features;
- Berm/hill relocation;
- A central circular walkway that connects 52 Street to 54 Avenue Close;
- A central lawn space for passive and active recreation;
- Seating furniture located along the circular walkway and in a small plaza space on the southeast corner of the park;
- Open space for the potential future development of an adventure playground.
Stroll Through the Parks Online
Ponoka citizens are encouraged to take a stroll through the parks online and let us know your thoughts. Access to the virtual walk-through is available by following the links below:
Old Hospital Park https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsZV2QwBhM
Central Park https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMB6iR2XbeE
If you have any questions, please phone 403-783-4431.
Latest Updates on the Town of Ponoka COVID-19
The Town of Ponoka places the safety of our citizens as our top priority. The Town is actively monitoring and evaluating the COVID-19 situation daily and is prepared to respond appropriately to help protect the health and well-being of our citizens.
In response to provincial directives to minimize personal contact through physical distancing to help slow the spread of COVID-19, all Town facilities remain closed to public access until further notice, including the Arena, Aquaplex and the Town
Office at the Ponoka Civic Centre.
To learn more about our response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please click the links below. (Please note this information is only current at the time of writing and can change quickly).
March 31, 2020 Update https://www.ponoka.ca/images/PDFs/Covid_19_Update_-_March_31_2020.pdf
March 23, 2020 Update https://www.ponoka.ca/images/PDFs/Covid_19_Update_-_March_23_2020.pdf
For the most recent information and updates from the federal and provincial governments, please visit the Alberta Health https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx and Government of Canada